You try it! Think like a market researcher
Here’s a little exercise you can do to figure out who you are appealing to. It will be a way to identify who your audience is, what you’re doing to get that audience. It is a way to be able to reverse engineer who you are appealing to and possible reasons why, so you can keep doing what you’re doing, completely change, or refine what you are doing. This will be helpful in developing a marketing plan. The audience may be different between the different platforms that you use. You don’t have to do all of this, but this is just to give you an idea of what I might do, and what things you can do in the meantime.
We are building up our knowledge banks!
So here’s what you do!
- Demographics. Binary gender (I wish the data collected were more fluid friendly, but there it is)., age, location, etc. You should have access to that information.
- Look at your posts. What were the ones that were the most popular? Gather them up so that you can start generating hypotheses. (Notice I didn’t say evidence. You don’t know for sure why people liked something until you test it out — even in an unscientific experiment).
- Again, look at your posts. Which ones got crickets?
- Data collection for the posts. When looking at posts, think about the time of day you posted. Was it endorsed by someone (possible social influencer. I said possible. Not tested. I will harp on this). Was it early in your account’s life? Was it during a holiday where people wouldn’t be looking at social media? What was the content? What about your content did people respond to?
- How much time do you spend on that specific platform? How much original content? How much reposted from same platform? Other platforms? Do you like and comment a lot on that platform? Do you have people you chat with on those platforms? How quickly do you respond to likes and comments on that platform? This is getting at how much attention you are giving to a platform and what kind of attention.
In the comments below, let me know what you find out, or email me directly. I promise this will help you refine your marketing plan!
©ALL RIGHTS RESERVED and held by Michelle Raab Writes, LLC.
Support this content
If you appreciate this content, you can help support it. Thank you for your support.